Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Bahamas cruise & The Wizarding World of Harry Potter!!

Since Brad's in his last year of dental school, we wanted to plan a pre-graduation trip for just the two of us. Brad had been looking into cruises for a while and once a great deal popped up, we decided to go ahead and book a cruise to the Bahamas. Everything about the trip fell into place really easily. We had tons of travel credit we could use towards the cruise, a Delta companion pass that allowed one of us a completely free round-trip ticket to Florida, and a free time share in Florida we could use after our cruise thanks to my in-laws. We invited some friends and were so excited when Amy & Matt Keller told us they'd be able to join us in Florida for four days after our cruise where we'd go to Harry Potter World!

We had asked my parents to watch Owen & Madden for us and decided it would be easiest to just drive up to Utah and drop them off and fly out of SLC since the flights were much cheaper. So, our trip started off by making the drive to Utah all in one day. We made a pit stop in Las Vegas at my sister's house for a few hours along the way. 

The Calvert's house in Las Vegas 
Saturday, November 11th

I think all of us were excited to have a break from the car for a few hours, especially Owen! Here are the kids playing with Andrew & Ellie. 


Utah
We arrived in Utah that night and woke up the next morning and went to church, even though we were all exhausted from the drive the day before.

Owen may have spent the majority of sacrament meeting lying down but he was quiet, so we'll call that a win. 

Here are some pictures of the boys that Sunday. Poor things had no idea mom & dad would be leaving them for 9 days. Luckily Madden was still young enough to not really care, but my family told me Owen asked where we were everyday we were gone and that broke my heart! 

Red eye to Orlando
Sunday, November 12th
That night, Brad and I put the boys to bed and left for the airport to catch our red eye to Orlando. We had a ton of time to kill in the airport before our shuttle arrived (like 6 hours) so we spent the majority of the time asleep on the couches. I never thought I'd be one to sleep on a couch in the airport, but there's a first for everything.

While we were waiting in the airport I chose Chick-fil-a for breakfast. I had barely slept on our flight so I was pretty dang tired that morning. I ordered my food and the girl had handed me my food bag and drink right away. I was so tired I just stood there waiting for my food without realizing it was already in my hand. After about 5 minutes, the girl asked if I needed something else and I told her I was waiting for my breakfast biscuit. She just gave me a weird look and started packing up another breakfast biscuit to hand to me. It wasn't until she started handing me a new bag that I realized I already had my food in my hands...

Royal Caribbean cruise to The Bahamas!
Monday, November 13th
Around noon, we were able to board the ship! We spent the first couple of hours exploring and then played some trivia game with a bunch of old people while everyone else our age started drinking. We were also able to capture this really beautiful photo of me...


Around 4pm, our ship departed and it didn't take long for our boat to start rocking like crazy. I remember looking out the window that night and being shocked at how big the waves were! Brad assured me that this was the rockiest ship he had ever experienced and that it wasn't normally like that. 

That first night, we went to dinner and met our table mates. We sat next to two older couples who were there on a family vacation. They were both very nice but Brad and I felt like we were intruding on their family vacation! Especially because the two tables next to us were filled with their family members. 

That night, we went to a dancing/singing show in the theater and listened to this comedian named Gary who I thought was hilarious (Brad didn't).

Tuesday, November 14th
The next morning, we slept in for the first times in years and didn't eat breakfast until 10:30. We spent most of the day lying out on the pool deck listening to Taylor Swift's new album and it was glorious! 


That afternoon we went to a Love & Marriage show and once again, I thought it was hilarious. We finished off the day by eatings tons of food, taking a long nap, and attending the formal night. The show we saw that night was called "Signed, Sealed, Delivered" and I had to agree with Brad that it was pretty terrible. But we made up for it by watching the last episode of Stranger Things on the iPad before bed.

Wednesday, November 15th 
On Wednesday, we landed in Nassau. And apparently this is when I stopped taking notes in my phone of what we did each day! But I do know we had a relaxing day in Nassau. Also, since we didn't have internet, I didn't take my phone anywhere and got barely got any pictures the entire time. So unlike me!

Thursday, November 16th
Thursday was our last full day and the day we were supposed to stop at Royal Caribbean's private island, CocoCay. But since the waves were too big, the ship wasn't able to stop and ended up turning around to head back to Port Canaveral. Once again, I don't remember exactly what we did that day but I'm sure it consisted of eating a ton of food and napping haha.

Wizarding World of Harry Potter with the Kellers!! 
Friday, November 17th 

On Friday morning, our friends Amy & Matt picked us up at port and we all drove over to Harry Potter World! We had an amazing first day!


Entering Diagon Alley for the first time! 

Escape from Gringotts! 


Just in case you needed a close up of Brad's face! Also, look at the cute Harry Potter shirts Amy had made for us!! 

Ollivander's wand shop 

Leaky Cauldron
We enjoyed some fish & chips for lunch!

Diagon Alley


Fear Factor live
Ok, I just need to vent here for a second. I think the physical challenges they have the contestants do are totally fine and even enjoyable to watch. But no joke, I get ANGRY watching people do disgusting things and eating disgusting things. Like...WHY!? And what makes me even angrier is people who actually ENJOY watching that!! How is that enjoyable to watch?!? It's disgusting! 

Simpson's land
Enjoying an oversized Lard Lad donut (at least I think that's what it was called). Who knows, haha

King's Cross station!!


Hogwarts!

After the park closed, we grabbed some dinner and went to our hotel at the Worldmark. 

Day Two!! 
Saturday, November 18th

Day two was just as amazing as the first and we spent the day hopping between the two parks! 

Hogsmeade! 

We ended the night on a good note (more like a wet note) and decided to ride Popeye's Raging Rapids ride over and over again like we were 15 years old. We walked out of the park dripping wet asking ourselves what exactly we were all thinking. But hey, there wasn't even a wait!! 


Sunday, November 19th
On Sunday, we took a break from the parks and saw Thor in the movie theater, got pedicures (yes, all four of us), and ate a delicious meal at Mellow Mushroom. The night consisted of playing a lot of the game Heads Up. 

Amy and I can't help but laugh anytime we see Brad's and Matt's faces in this picture! 

Day Three!
Monday, November 20th





Overall, The Wizarding World of Harry Potter was AMAZING! I still cannot believe how much detail went into Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade! I loved both for different reasons. Diagon Alley was so cool because of the hidden entrance and the feeling that you were truly in Diagon Alley. I loved that you were completely encompassed and didn't see other parts of the park. But on the other hand, Hogsmeade was beautiful and I loved the snow and Christmas decorations. Both were amazing, highly recommend! 

Once the park closed, we left and did an escape room called Budapest Express at Escapology! It was Amy & Matt's first time doing an escape room and we all had a lot of fun! 


Here are some pictures my family sent of the boys while we were gone!

Owen spending time at the aquarium with Aunty Jess! 11.16.17



Dinosaur museum with Aunty Jess! 11.17.17



Our sweet Madden baby 11.17.17



What happens at Gigi's, stays at Gigi's

Playing with tracks with Pop pop 

Pop pop and Madden 11.19.17

Reunited with our babies!!
Tuesday, November 21st 

After a long 9 days, we finally flew home to my parents house and got to see the boys! I was SO excited to see them, we seriously missed them so much. Also, Owen was thrilled with the over-priced light up toy we bought him on our last night at the park. And dad spoiled him with a chocolate donut at the store soon after we got back. 


Owen's very first BYU basketball game with dad 11.21.17
The night before we left for Las Vegas, Brad took Owen to his very first BYU basketball game. Brad's description of the game went like this: "Got to take Owen to his first Cougars game. He ate an entire bag of popcorn and wanted to go home halfway through the 2nd half when it was a 2 point game." 


Next up, Thanksgiving in Vegas! 

No comments:

Post a Comment